Traditional Beer Battered Fish and Chips
2 Angel cut Haddock fillets
4oz plain flour
1 egg white
2 tablespoon sunflower oil
6fl oz beer
400g potatoes (chipped)
pinch of salt
• Preheat deep fat fryer to 130°. Place the chipped potatoes in a pot of boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Drain the chips in a colander and shake them well to fluff up the edges. Place the chips in the fryer at 130° for 5-6 minutes until soft, remove and place on a tray to cool.
• Place the flour, salt, and oil in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk the egg white until stiff.
• Add the beer to the flour mix and whisk until smooth then add the egg white.
• Turn the fryer up to 180°. Coat the haddock fillets in a little flour then dip into the batter mix.
• Gently lower the haddock one at a time into the hot oil. Cook for 4- 5 minutes until golden and place on a wire rack over a tray to drain. While the fish is draining, place the chips in the fryer until crisp.
• Serve with tartare sauce and a squeeze of lemon.