Ukrainian Sicheniki is a delightful and savory dish that holds a special place in Ukrainian cuisine. Made with fish, these Sicheniki are akin to flavourful fish meatballs that will tantalize your taste buds. The fish is expertly seasoned and combined with aromatic herbs and spices, forming a delectable mixture. Shaped into balls, they are then pan-fried to perfection, resulting in a crispy and golden exterior. With each bite, you'll savour the moist and tender fish filling bursting with delightful flavours. Explore this delightful dish and embark on a gastronomic journey through Ukraine's rich culinary heritage.
- 700-800g of a fish of your choice (Hake or Cod work well)
- 200g Onion
- 150gWhite bread
- 50g Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- 50ml Vegetable oil
- Ground black pepper
- Cut the fish fillets into small pieces. Peel the onion and cut it into small slices. Soak the bread which is best if stale in water or milk.
- Either use a meat grinder to mince the ingredients or use a food processor and blend the onion, fish, dill and bread into a minced texture.
- Add the egg, pepper, salt to the minced fish mixture and mix.
- Divide the prepared meat into portions, giving an oval-flattened shape.
- Roll sicheniki in breadcrumbs and fry in vegetable oil on both sides.