Smoked haddock and jersey royal stew
- 15g unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- 4 onions, finely sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, thickly sliced
- 6 pink peppercorns
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 80g pancetta
- 300g jersey royal potatoes
- 650ml fish or chicken stock
- 1kg smoked haddock fillets
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- Crème fraîche to serve (optional)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan (use one with a lid) or flameproof casserole, then gently fry the onions for 20 minutes with the garlic, peppercorns, coriander seeds, turmeric and plenty of black pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, slice the pancetta, quarter the potatoes and warm the fish stock. When the onions have softened and are gaining a little colour (after 8-10 minutes), add the pancetta and potatoes, then the fish stock. Bring to the boil, stir, then simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes feel tender when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Top with the smoked fish and spinach, then cover with the lid and cook for 8-10 minutes more or until the fish is lightly steamed and the spinach is wilted.
- Evenly divide the fish and the stew among 6 shallow bowls, then
top each with a spoonful of crème fraîche to serve.
PAYMENTS WE ACCEPT
UK MAINLAND DELIVERY