Seafood Pot Pie
An American classic perfect for celebrating thanksgiving.
- 115g unsalted butter
- 225g cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 225g thinly sliced fennel
- 225g thinly sliced celery
- 225g thinly sliced carrots
- 62g all-purpose flour
- 100ml dry white wine
- 700ml fish stock
- 60ml heavy cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 fillet halibut, skin removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 225g scallops, halved horizontally
- 225g peeled and deveined king prawns
- 450g crabmeat, picked over
- 170g frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 packet frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- Over a medium-high heat melt butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion, fennel, celery, and carrots and cook until the vegetables are softened and onion is translucent. Add flour and stir to coat vegetables well, stirring for 1 minute. Then add the wine and stir until it has evaporated and the mixture creates a slurry. Add fish stock and 3 tablespoons of cream, stirring until the mixture thickens into a creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper, then gently fold in seafood, green peas and parsley.
- Reduce the heat and bring the mixture to a low simmer until sauce is warm again but the seafood will not be completely cooked through. Separate the mixture into 5 individual ramekins.
- Preheat oven to 190 'C.
Whisk egg and remaining 1 tablespoon heavy cream in a small bowl. Place the defrosted puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured work surface. Place a square of pastry over each bowl and brush the top with egg wash. Create a few small slits in the centre of the pastry to allow steam to vent during cooking.
- Place baking sheet with individual portions in the preheated oven and bake for about 40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.