Lohikeitto, also known as Finnish Salmon Soup, is a comforting and hearty dish that captures the essence of Nordic cuisine. This traditional Finnish delicacy combines the rich flavors of fresh salmon, creamy potatoes, and aromatic dill in a velvety broth. Each spoonful of Lohikeitto offers a harmonious blend of textures and tastes, making it a true comfort food experience. Whether enjoyed as a light lunch or a satisfying dinner, this soul-warming soup is sure to delight seafood lovers and evoke a sense of Scandinavian coziness. Experience the taste of Finland with Lohikeitto and savor the flavors of the north.
- 1kg skinless salmon fillets diced into 2cm cube
- 2 large finely diced leeks
- 50g butter
- 350ml single cream
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 750g charlotte potatoes diced in 2cm cubes
- 1.5L fish stock
- 30g chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Bay leaves
- Soften the leeks by heating butter in a large saucepan, adding the leeks, and cooking for 2-3 mins
- Add potatoes and just enough water to almost cover and boil for 4 mins until starting to go soft
- Reduce to a simmer, Add bay leaves and salmon cubes. Cook for 3-4 mins or until flesh colour changes
- Add cream, stock, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste and continue to simmer for 15 mins, stirring gently to not break up salmon.
- Just before serving stir in chopped dill. Serve with crusty bread