- For the hollandaise:
- 2 large free-range egg yolks
- 1½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 85g/3oz unsalted butter, cold and diced
- For the eggs royale:
- splash white wine vinegar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 English muffins or 2 pieces of bread, split, toasted and buttered
- 4 slices smoked salmon
- snipped fresh chives, to garnish
- salt and white pepper
- To make the hollandaise sauce, bring a small saucepan of water to a gentle simmer. Find a heatproof glass bowl that will fit neatly on top without touching the water and add the yolks, vinegar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Whisk together until frothy, then place the bowl over the simmering water and whisk again until the mixture thickens.
- Gradually whisk in the butter, starting with single cubes, and as the sauce gets thicker, add 2–3 at a time. If the sauce begins to look oily – as if it might be splitting – whisk the mixture off the heat for a few minutes. When all the butter is incorporated, season with the remaining lemon juice, salt and white pepper.
Turn off the heat but leave the bowl on top to keep the sauce warm. A piece of greaseproof paper laid directly on the surface will stop a skin forming.
- Poach your eggs but keep the water gently simmering when all the eggs are done.
- Top each muffin half or piece of toast with a slice of smoked salmon. If needed reheat the eggs in the poaching pan for 30 seconds, then sit on top of the salmon. Give the sauce a quick stir then spoon over the top of each egg – if it’s too thick, stir in a splash of cool water to thin. Garnish with the chives and serve immediately.
PAYMENTS WE ACCEPT
UK MAINLAND DELIVERY